PhD in Biomedical Sciences Benefits
The St. Jude Graduate School offers a highly competitive financial and benefits package. Students are supported by full institutional funding for the duration of their studies, independent of their choice of labs.
As a student, you will receive:
- A minimum stipend of $39,393 per year. [compare cost of living]
- Medical benefits for you and your dependents.
- A full tuition scholarship of $20,000 annually to cover the cost of the program.
- Time off for holidays, breaks, and medical and personal leave (with approval).
- Free, secure on-campus parking.
- Free access to on-site fitness center, including exercise classes and wellness seminars.
- Laptop and IT support for the duration of studies at St. Jude.
- Professional development support, including travel allowance for conferences, regular career-oriented seminars and events, networking opportunities and exposure to internationally recognized speakers.
- Laboratory supply allowance during first-year rotations and in your permanent laboratory thereafter.
A Stimulating Environment
We are committed to providing a superb and supportive training environment. Students enjoy:
- Mentoring by world-class faculty
- Access to the extensive, state-of-the-art scientific core facilities at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Hands-on training by experts is available for students as they discover the core technologies crucial to their research projects
- A robust network of faculty advisors and postdocs to assist you in finding a postdoctoral fellowship, industry position or teaching opportunity at the completion of your degree
- A first year Scholastic Oversight Team to oversee progress, provide assistance and advise as necessary
- The benefit of the unique funding model of St. Jude, which affords investigators the freedom to pursue new and emerging research directions
- A dedicated teaching facility, recreational space and study carrels within the Graduate School to promote study and interaction
- A strongly collaborative research culture that brings together a diverse community of students, postdoctoral fellows, faculty, clinicians and patients
- Opportunities to volunteer in programs supporting St. Jude patients and their families, as well as other structured community service activities
The Graduate School’s custom-designed, 4,600-square-foot space offers private study carrels for first-year students, easy access to the Biomedical Library, a state-of-the-art teaching facility and a well-appointed student lounge.
Learn more about our science and student life.