Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid (also called Augmentin®) is used to prevent or treat infections. It is available in 250 mg, 500 mg, and 875 mg tablets, a 400 mg chewable tablet, a 1000 mg long-acting tablet, and liquid suspensions. All of these are taken by mouth.
How to take and store Augmentin®
- You should take Augmentin® with food to help decrease stomach pain.
- Shake the liquid well before you take it. Use an oral syringe or medicine cup to be sure you are taking the correct amount.
- Store the liquid medicine in the refrigerator. Discard the liquid medicine after 10 days or on the expiration date printed on the label.
- Store all tablet forms at room temperature in a dry place
- The long-acting tablet should be swallowed whole. Do not crush or chew.
Possible side effects
- Nausea, vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Allergic reaction with the following symptoms: rash, hives, itching, chills, fever, shortness of breath, muscle aches, swelling of face or neck, throat feels tight, and cough.
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- Before taking Augmentin®, tell your doctor if you have had an allergic reaction to any other penicillin product. If you have any of the allergic symptoms (listed under “Possible side effects”) or you have severe or watery diarrhea, tell your doctor right away.
- Finish all doses of this medicine as instructed by your doctor, even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking this medicine unless your doctor tells you to do so.
- Do not take Augmentin® while you are taking probenecid or methotrexate without telling your doctor.
- Probenecid may increase the levels of Augmentin® in your body.
- Augmentin® may increase the levels of methotrexate in your body.
- While taking Augmentin®, birth control medicines that contain estrogen may not be effective. Use a second birth control method for at least one (1) month after taking Augmentin®.
- Augmentin® may cause a false-positive urine test result when checking your urine for sugar (glucose) levels.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)