Amphotericin B (also called Fungizone®, Ambisome, or Abelcet) is used to treat fungal infections. It is available as a yellow liquid given by vein (IV). This medicine is usually given every day or every other day, often for several weeks. It is usually given by IV during a period of 2 to 6 hours.
Possible side effects
- Chills, fever, flushing, itching, shortness of breath, sweating, rash, or headache
- Decreased appetite
- Tissue irritated at the IV site if the medicine leaks out
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach upset
Later (usually more than a day after treatment starts)
- Decreased kidney function and kidney injury
- Changes in liver function
- Decreased blood levels of potassium, magnesium, bicarbonate, or calcium
- Stomach pain
- Feeling unusually tired or weak
- Back pain
- Blood pressure changes
- Blood in the urine
- Low blood counts
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
- If fever, chills, or shaking occur when you are receiving amphotericin B, tell your nurse. You will be given medicines to help reduce these side effects.
- Try to drink plenty of fluids. Your nurse or pharmacist will tell you how much to drink.
- To help prevent kidney injury, IV fluids may be given before or after you receive amphotericin B.
- Blood will be drawn to check kidney function and liver function while you are receiving amphotericin B.
- Blood will be drawn to check the levels of potassium, magnesium, bicarbonate, and calcium in your blood while you are receiving amphotericin B.
- You may be given potassium, magnesium, bicarbonate, or calcium to take by mouth. It is very important that you take this medicine exactly as it has been prescribed.
- Report to your doctor any blood in your urine or discomfort when urinating.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).