Atovaquone (also called Mepron®) is used to prevent or treat certain infections, such as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (also called PCP) in patients who do not tolerate SMX/TMP (Septra® or Bactrim®). Atovaquone is a bright yellow, citrus-flavored liquid suspension taken by mouth.
Possible side effects
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach upset
Later (more than a day after treatment starts)
- Feeling dizzy
- Trouble sleeping
- Low blood counts
- Changes in liver function
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, locally dial 595-3300. Outside Memphis, dial toll- free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833) and press 0.
- To receive the best protection from PCP, atovaquone must be taken exactly as your doctor tells you. Taking a smaller amount or missing a dose decreases protection. Taking more medicine does not increase protection.
- Always take this medicine with food.
- Before each dose, shake the bottle of atovaquone to completely mix the medicine.
- Store atovaquone at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
- This medicine may affect the way other medicines work. Always tell your doctor which medicines you are currently taking and if you begin taking any new medicines while you are taking atovaquone.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).