Dornase alfa, also called Pulmozyme®, is a medicine for cystic fibrosis. It can lower the number of lung infections you have. It can also help your lungs work better. Your doctor might also give you dornase alfa for another condition. Your doctor can explain why you need this medicine.
You will use this medicine with a machine called a nebulizer. The machine turns the medicine into a fine mist. You breathe in the mist through your mouth, and it goes into your lungs.
Dornase alfa is available in a 2.5mL solution to be inhaled.
Possible side effects
- Change in voice
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Eye irritation
- Skin rash
If you have any of these side effects, tell the doctor right away
- Allergic reaction
- Itchy skin
- Hives (swelling and red patches on your skin)
- Swelling in your face or hands
- Swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat
- A “tight” feeling in your chest
- Trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
These are the most common side effects, but you might have others. Please tell your doctor or nurse about all side effects.
If you have a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
How to take this medicine
Your nurse, doctor, or respiratory therapist will show you how to use dornase alfa in your nebulizer machine. You will also learn how to clean the machine before and after using it.
- Do not put any other medicine in the nebulizer with dornase alfa. Wash your hands with soap and water before you get the dose ready to use.
- Only use each container once. You might not use all the medicine in a container. But do not use that container again, even if medicine is left after you give a dose. Only use the amount your child’s doctor prescribed. Then, throw the container and any leftover medicine in the trash.
- Do not use the medicine if it looks cloudy, is a different color than normal, or has anything floating in it. Also, do not use it if the container is leaking.
- Keep the medicine in its foil pouch in the refrigerator. Keep it away from direct light.
- Do not leave the medicine at room temperature longer than 24 hours.
- This medicine is made with hamster cells. Please tell your doctor if you are allergic to hamsters.
- Talk with your doctor before you take any new medicine. This includes:
- Medicine another doctor prescribes for you,
- Medicine you buy without a prescription,
- Natural products, such as herbs, and
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
1-866-278-5833 تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث بلغة أخرى، فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك بالمجان. يرجى الاتصال بالرقم
.(1-901-595-1040 :الهاتف النصي)