What is sucralfate?
Sucralfate (also called Carafate®) is used to treat ulcers. It coats the stomach lining and protects it from stomach acid and enzymes so healing can occur. Sucralfate is available as a light pink, oblong, 1-gm tablet and a pink liquid suspension. Both are taken by mouth.
Possible side effects of sucralfate
- Stomach pain
These are the most common side effects, but there may be others. Please report all side effects to the doctor or nurse.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist at 595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), and press 0 once the call is connected.
Special instructions for sucralfate
- Take sucralfate 4 times a day, one (1) hour before each meal and at bedtime.
- Take sucralfate on an empty stomach.
- Sucralfate may affect the way other medicines work. These medicines include:
- Always tell your doctor if you are taking any of these medicines, or if you start taking any new medicine while you are taking sucralfate.
- Always take sucralfate 2 hours before or after you take any other medicine unless your doctor or pharmacist has told you otherwise.
- Shake the liquid suspension very well before you take each dose.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).