What is voxelotor?
Voxelotor (also called Oxbryta®) is a medicine that helps your hemoglobin hold onto oxygen. Hemoglobin is the main substance in red blood cells. It helps carry oxygen from the lungs to all parts of the body. When taking voxelotor, the amount of hemoglobin can increase and may prevent your red blood cells from sickling.
This medicine is available as 500 mg tablets taken by mouth.
Possible side effects of voxelotor
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling tired or weak
These are the most common side effects, but there may be more. Report all side effects to your medical team.
In case of a severe side effect or reaction, call the doctor, nurse or pharmacist at 901-595-3300. If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833).
Special instructions for voxelotor
- How to take
- Take one time a day at the same time each day.
- Take tablets whole if possible. If you are having trouble swallowing the tablets, talk to your clinic staff about other options.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Missed doses
- Avoid missing doses.
- If you miss a dose and remember within 6 hours of your usual dose time, you may take the dose.
- If you miss a dose and remember more than 6 hours after your usual dose time, skip that dose. Resume taking the medicine at your regular time the next day.
- Never take 2 doses in 24 hours.
- Store at room temperature
Getting voxelotor from another pharmacy
The staff prefers to provide this medicine from the St. Jude Pharmacy on campus. Rarely, some patients may have to use an outside pharmacy.
In some cases, a patient may need to be enrolled in a patient assistance program. That means the medicine may come from another pharmacy.
- This pharmacy may call you to verify your information.
- If you have questions or concerns about this process, talk to your clinic staff.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.
St. Jude complies with health care-related federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
ATTENTION: If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-866-278-5833 (TTY: 1-901-595-1040).
تنبيه: إذا كنت تتحدث باللغة العربية فيمكنك الاستعانة بخدمات المساعدة اللغوية المتوفرة لك مجانا. .يرجى الاتصال بالرقم. 5833-278-866-1 (الهاتف النصي: 1040-595-901-1).