Laurea (MSc) – Medical School, University of Milano, Italy
PhD – Max Planck Institute for Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden, Germany
Postdoctoral Studies – Harvard Medical School/HHMI, Boston, Massachusetts
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Glenn Award for Research in Biological Mechanisms of Aging
- 2013 New Scholar in Aging Award, Ellison Medical Foundation
- 2011 AFAR/GE Healthcare Junior Investigator Award for Excellence in Imaging and Aging Research
- 2010 Ellison Medical Foundation/AFAR postdoctoral fellowship
- 2006 European Doctorate in Biotechnologies
- Role of proteostasis and stress responses in skeletal muscle aging
- Systemic signaling via muscle-derived secreted factors (myokines) during aging and age-related diseases
Rai M, Demontis F. Systemic nutrient and stress signaling via myokines and myometabolites. Annual Review of Physiology 2015 (in press).
Demontis F, Patel VK, Swindell WR, Perrimon N. Intertissue control of the nucleolus via a myokine-dependent longevity pathway. Cell Reports June 12;7(5):1481-1494, 2014.
Demontis F, Piccirillo R, Goldberg AL, Perrimon N. The influence of skeletal muscle on systemic aging and lifespan. Aging Cell Dec;12(6):943-9, 2013.
Demontis F, Piccirillo R, Goldberg AL, Perrimon N. Mechanisms of skeletal muscle aging: insights from Drosophila and mammalian models. Disease Models & Mechanisms Nov;6(6):1339-52, 2013.
Katewa SD, Demontis F, Kolipinski M, Hubbard A, Gill MS, Perrimon N, Melov S, Kapahi P. Intra-myocellular fatty-acid metabolism plays a critical role in mediating responses to dietary restriction in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Metabolism Jul 3;16(1):97-103, 2012.
Demontis F, Perrimon N. FOXO/4E-BP signaling in Drosophila muscles regulates organism-wide proteostasis during aging. Cell Nov 24;143(5):813-25, 2010.
Demontis F, Perrimon N. Integration of InR/FOXO signaling and dMyc activity during muscle growth regulates body size. Development Mar;136(6):983-93, 2009.
Last update: August 2015