Laurea (MSc) – Medical School, University of Milano, Italy
PhD – Max Planck Institute for Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden, Germany
Postdoctoral Studies – Harvard Medical School/HHMI, Boston, Massachusetts
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Glenn Award for Research in Biological Mechanisms of Aging
- 2013 New Scholar in Aging Award, Ellison Medical Foundation
- 2011 AFAR/GE Healthcare Junior Investigator Award for Excellence in Imaging and Aging Research
- 2010 Ellison Medical Foundation/AFAR postdoctoral fellowship
- 2006 European Doctorate in Biotechnologies
- Role of proteostasis and stress responses in skeletal muscle aging
- Systemic signaling via muscle-derived secreted factors (myokines) during aging and age-related diseases
Hunt LC, Xu B, Finkelstein D, Fan Y, Carroll PA, Cheng P, Eisenman RN, Demontis F. The glucose-sensing transcription factor MLX promotes myogenesis via myokine signaling. Genes & Development doi:10.1101/gad.267419.115 [Epub ahead of print 2015 Nov 19].
Rai M, Demontis F. Systemic nutrient and stress signaling via myokines and myometabolites. Annual Review of Physiology Feb 78:6.1-6.23, 2016. [Epub ahead of print 2015 Nov 2].
Demontis F, Patel VK, Swindell WR, Perrimon N. Intertissue control of the nucleolus via a myokine-dependent longevity pathway. Cell Reports June 12;7(5):1481-1494, 2014.
Demontis F, Piccirillo R, Goldberg AL, Perrimon N. The influence of skeletal muscle on systemic aging and lifespan. Aging Cell Dec;12(6):943-9, 2013.
Demontis F, Piccirillo R, Goldberg AL, Perrimon N. Mechanisms of skeletal muscle aging: insights from Drosophila and mammalian models. Disease Models & Mechanisms Nov;6(6):1339-52, 2013.
Katewa SD, Demontis F, Kolipinski M, Hubbard A, Gill MS, Perrimon N, Melov S, Kapahi P. Intra-myocellular fatty-acid metabolism plays a critical role in mediating responses to dietary restriction in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Metabolism Jul 3;16(1):97-103, 2012.
Demontis F, Perrimon N. FOXO/4E-BP signaling in Drosophila muscles regulates organism-wide proteostasis during aging. Cell Nov 24;143(5):813-25, 2010.
Demontis F, Perrimon N. Integration of InR/FOXO signaling and dMyc activity during muscle growth regulates body size. Development Mar;136(6):983-93, 2009.
Last update: November 2015