AAPI Innovation and Community Health Webinar Summary
Sponsored by AAPIP SF Bay Area chapter, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and Cambridge Associates, our panel of experts discussed the role philanthropy plays in the evolving community health needs for the AAPI community.
Senior Director of Charitable Giving at Genentech
Carolyn Wang Kong
Chief Program Director of Blue Shield of California Foundation
President of Asian Health Services
Chief Investment Officer of Cambridge Associates
5 Key Takeaways
- AAPI community health is an important area for investment with unprecedented needs emerging in recent years.
- There has been a two-and-a-half fold increase in the need for mental health support services for the AAPI community served by Asian Health Services, with a lack of culturally and linguistically competent care available.
- More AAPI community funders are now balancing responsive grantmaking with addressing root causes to change health systems across racial, gender, and economic lines that impact health outcomes.
- AAPI community funders are looking to support community power-building to change the narrative around communities of color and help build advocacy and civic engagement.
- Telehealth is an area of increased investment and innovation. Language access and digital literacy are critical to closing the digital divide.