BSN – Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN
MSN – University of Tennessee at Memphis, TN
DNP – University of Tennessee at Memphis, TN
Honors and Awards
- 2019 ISONG Founders’ Award, Excellence in Genomic Nursing Practice, International Society of Nurses in Genetics (ISONG), San Antonio, TX
- 2017 Silver Award Ovation, St Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- 2017 Bronze Award Ovation, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- 2010 Power of One Service Award Recipient, Methodist Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
- 2009 Power of One Award Recipient, Methodist Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
Professional Organizations and Committees
- 2017- present Advanced Practice Representative Committee Chair, Nurse Portfolio Credentialing Commission (NPCC)
- 2017- present Board Member, Nurse Portfolio Credentialing Commission (NPCC)
- 2006-present International Society of Nurses in Genetics (ISONG)
- 2016- present Co-Chair, Communications Committee (ISONG)
- 2007-present Greater Memphis Area Advance Practice Nurses Association (GMAAPN)
- 2016- present Member American Nurses Association (ANA)
- 2018-present Steering Committee Member, Newborn Screening Family Education Program-Expecting Health
- 2014- 2018 Co-Chair, Steering Committee: Baby’s First Test (Genetic Alliance)
- 2014-2017 Genetics Nurse Portfolio Appraiser, American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- 2012 Consumer Task Force Member, Genetic Alliance: Baby’s First Test
- 2010-2013 Magnet Steering Committee, Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
- 2006-2013 International Association of Forensic Nurses (IAFN)
My core mission of clinical and translational research is to develop novel approaches for delivery of genetic health education directly to underserved communities. The demarcation of translational research into T1 (bench-to-bedside) and T2 (bedside-to-community) activities corresponds to two significant bottlenecks in clinical research. I'm interested in newborn screening, sickle cell disease and education pertaining to genetics and genomics literacy.
Mandrell, B., Hines-Dowell, S. (2019- pending publication). Genetics and Genomics: Precision Health in Pediatric Oncology (Book Chapter). Pediatric Oncology Nursing: Defining Care Through Science. 1st Edition; Springer. Role-Co-First Author.
McNamara, E., Hines-Dowell, S. Mandrell, B. (2019 pending publication). Factors Affecting Nurses’ Competency and Confidence in Genetic and Genomic Heath Care: A Review of the Literature. Role-Co-First Author.
Maciaszek JL, Oak N, Chen W, Hamilton KV, McGee RB, Nuccio R, Mostafavi R, Hines-Dowell S, Harrison L, Taylor L, Gerhardt EL, Ouma A, Edmonson MN, Patel A, Nakitandwe J, Pappo AS, Azzato EM, Shurtleff SA, Ellison DW, Downing JR, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Santana V, Newman S, Zhang J, Wang Z, Wu G, Nichols KE, Kesserwan CA. Enrichment of heterozygous germline RECQL4 loss-of-function variants in pediatric osteosarcoma. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2019 Oct 23;5(5):a004218. doi: 10.1101/mcs.a004218. PMID: 31604778; PMCID: PMC6824257.
Johnson, LM, Sykes, AD, Lu, Z, Valdez, JM, Gattuso, J, Gerhardt, E, Hamilton, KV, Harrison, LW, Hines-Dowell, SJ, Jurbergs, N, McGee, RB, Nuccio, R, Ouma, AA, Pritchard, M, Quinn, EA, Baker, JN, Mandrell, BN & Nichols, KE. (2019). Speaking genomics to parents offered germline testing for cancer predisposition: Use of a 2-visit consent model. Cancer, 125(14), 2455-2464. doi:10.1002/cncr.32071
Knight S, VanHouwelingen L, Cervi D, Clay MR, Corkins M, Hines-Dowell S, Hamilton KV, Mostafavi R, Ward J, Furman WL, Murphy AJ. Genitopatellar syndrome and neuroblastoma: The multidisciplinary management of a previously unreported association. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2018 Aug 7:e27373. doi: 10.1002/pbc.27373. [Epub ahead of print]
Johnson LM, Valdez JM, Quinn EA, Sykes AD, McGee RB, Nuccio R, Hines-Dowell SJ, Baker JN, Kesserwan C, Nichols KE, Mandrell BN. Integrating next-generation sequencing into pediatric oncology practice: An assessment of physician confidence and understanding of clinical genomics. Cancer Jun 15;123(12):2352-2359, 2017. doi: 10.1002/cncr.30581. Epub 2017 Feb 13. PMID: 28192596
Zhang J*, Walsh MF*, Wu G*, Edmonson MN, Gruber TA, Easton J, Hedges D, Ma X, Zhou X, Yergeau DA, Wilkinson MR, Vadodaria B, Chen X, McGee RB, Hines-Dowell S, Nuccio R, Quinn E, Shurtleff SA, Rusch M, Patel A, Becksfort JB, Wang S, Weaver MS, Ding L, Mardis ER, Wilson RK, Gajjar A, Ellison DW, Pappo AS, Pui CH, Nichols KE*, Downing JR. Germline Mutations in Predisposition Genes in Pediatric Cancer. N Engl J Med Nov 18, 2015. Epub ahead of print. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1508054. *Equal contribution
Tan QK, Stockton DW, Pivnick E, Choudhri AF, Hines-Dowell S, Pena LD, Deimling MA, Freemark MS, Kishnani PS. Premature pubarche in children with pompe disease. J Pediatr 166(4):1075-78, 2015.
Jones KL, Pivnick EK, Hines-Dowell S, Weese-Mayer DE, et al. A triple threat: Down syndrome, congenital central hypoventilation syndrome, and Hirschsprung disease. Pediatrics 130(5):e1382-4, 2012. doi: 10.1542/peds.2011-3844.
Hines-Dowell S, Lee S, Baskin S, Janecek A, Rhodes L, Gresham F. Osteogenesis Imperfecta Type VIII: a case report. J Neonatal Nurs 18(6):217-220, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.jnn.2011.11.009.
Carvalho MC, Ramocki MB, Pivnick E, Hines-Dowell S, et al. Inverted genomic segments and complex triplication rearrangements are mediated by inverted repeats in the human genome. Nat Genet 43(11):1074–1081, 2011.
El-Hattab AW, Zhang F, Maxim R, Christensen MS, Ward JC, Dowell SH, et al. Deletion and Duplication of 15q24: molecular mechanisms and potential modifiers by additional CNVs. Genet Med 12(9):573-86, 2010.
Scott R, Pivnick EK, Dowell SH, Huang EY, Van den Veyver IB, Wang X, Eubanks JW III. Goltz syndrome: Report of two severs cases. BMJ Case Reports 2009. doi:10.1136/bcr.09.2008.0909.
Last update: November 2019