BSN – Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN
MSN – University of Tennessee at Memphis, TN
DNP – University of Tennessee at Memphis, TN
Honors and Awards
- 2010 Power of One Service Award Recipient, Methodist LeBonheur Children’s Hospital
- 2009 Power of One Award Recipient, Methodist LeBonheur Children’s Hospital
Professional Organizations and Committees
- 2014-present Co-Chair, Steering Committee: Baby’s First Test (Genetic Alliance)
- 2012 Consumer Task Force Member, Genetic Alliance: Baby’s First Test
- 2010-2013 Magnet Steering Committee, LeBonheur Children’s Hospital
- 2007-present Greater Memphis Area Advance Practice Nurses Association (GMAAPN)
- 2006-present International Society of Nurses in Genetics (ISONG), January
- 2006-2013 International Association of Forensic Nurses (IAFN), October
My core mission of clinical and translational research is to develop novel approaches for delivery of genetic health education directly to underserved communities. The demarcation of translational research into T1 (bench-to-bedside) and T2 (bedside-to-community) activities corresponds to two significant bottlenecks in clinical research. I'm interested in newborn screening, sickle cell disease and education pertaining to genetics and genomics literacy.
Zhang J*, Walsh MF*, Wu G*, Edmonson MN, Gruber TA, Easton J, Hedges D, Ma X, Zhou X, Yergeau DA, Wilkinson MR, Vadodaria B, Chen X, McGee RB, Hines-Dowell S, Nuccio R, Quinn E, Shurtleff SA, Rusch M, Patel A, Becksfort JB, Wang S, Weaver MS, Ding L, Mardis ER, Wilson RK, Gajjar A, Ellison DW, Pappo AS, Pui CH, Nichols KE*, Downing JR. Germline Mutations in Predisposition Genes in Pediatric Cancer. N Engl J Med Nov 18, 2015. Epub ahead of print. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1508054. *Equal contribution
Tan QK, Stockton DW, Pivnick E, Choudhri AF, Hines-Dowell S, Pena LD, Deimling MA, Freemark MS, Kishnani PS. Premature pubarche in children with pompe disease. J Pediatr 166(4):1075-78, 2015.
Jones KL, Pivnick EK, Hines-Dowell S, Weese-Mayer DE, et al. A triple threat: Down syndrome, congenital central hypoventilation syndrome, and Hirschsprung disease. Pediatrics 130(5):e1382-4, 2012. doi: 10.1542/peds.2011-3844.
Hines-Dowell S, Lee S, Baskin S, Janecek A, Rhodes L, Gresham F. Osteogenesis Imperfecta Type VIII: a case report. J Neonatal Nurs 18(6):217-220, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.jnn.2011.11.009.
Carvalho MC, Ramocki MB, Pivnick E, Hines-Dowell S, et al. Inverted genomic segments and complex triplication rearrangements are mediated by inverted repeats in the human genome. Nat Genet 43(11):1074–1081, 2011.
El-Hattab AW, Zhang F, Maxim R, Christensen MS, Ward JC, Dowell SH, et al. Deletion and Duplication of 15q24: molecular mechanisms and potential modifiers by additional CNVs. Genet Med 12(9):573-86, 2010.
Scott R, Pivnick EK, Dowell SH, Huang EY, Van den Veyver IB, Wang X, Eubanks JW III. Goltz syndrome: Report of two severs cases. BMJ Case Reports 2009. doi:10.1136/bcr.09.2008.0909.
Last update: December 2015