The Information Services Internship program offers motivated individuals an opportunity to spend a summer placement within St. Jude’s information technology department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Interns will work with IT professionals on projects in a professional environment to gain insight and experience in the fast-paced world of Healthcare IT. Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend.
This specific internship will be working in the Project Management Office. The intern will provide basic project management services to facilitate the implementation of small to medium-sized hardware and software projects. This program is well suited for individuals seeking careers in fields such as IT project management and technology implementation. Additionally, opportunities exist to assist with business finance, problem-solving, and mitigating project risks. Internships are located in Memphis, TN.
The Information Services internships will be project-focused with exposure to various components of an IT environment. The internship will conclude with a capstone presentation for senior-level departmental executives.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday during standard office hours starting June 3, 2024, through August 9, 2024.
Please note: As of September 10, 2021, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for all employees, contractors, & interns, excluding those with an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination status is required.
Typical Learning Opportunities
As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills in a broad range of areas including:
- Brainstorming and cultivating new ideas that expand how information technology is delivered to the St. Jude customer (ranging from employees to patient care).
- Training through topic-based sessions conducted by information technology executives.
- Working with technology to align the department with the institutional strategic direction to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
- Learning about the industry and gaining invaluable experience working on IT-related projects.
- Additionally, you will take part in a variety of activities such as hospital tours, networking opportunities, building relationships with a variety of professionals across the institution, and have access to a dedicated mentor, to continue developing new skills.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate college program and be entering sophomore, junior, or senior year to be considered.
- Undergraduate candidates are accepted for all majors; a major or minor in computer science or other IT-related fields is preferred.
- A 3.0 GPA or above is required. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with the advisor. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage priorities and work autonomously as appropriate
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to ITinternship@stjude.org. Your letter should include which Information Services internship you’re applying for and a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected interns.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
The application deadline for the Summer 2024 internship is February 4, 2024.
Please email ITinternship@stjude.org with any questions.