St. Jude offers two types of Nurse Extern Programs: Summer Nurse Externship and a Fall/Spring Nurse Externship that begins in the Fall semester of a nursing student’s senior year. The programs are an employment opportunity for nursing students interested in pursuing a career in pediatric oncology nursing.
Extern roles are valued at St. Jude and give nursing students within a year of graduation the opportunity to acquire valuable skills and knowledge working with experienced nursing staff in a highly specialized pediatric oncology environment
Benefits to the student nurse
- The nurse externship role at St. Jude enables the student to establish valuable professional relationships.
- The externship can assist the nursing student in making informed decisions regarding specialized practice based on actual experience with nurses, patients and their families.
The nurse extern experience at St. Jude
- The extern will attend both a new employee and a Nursing orientation.
- An experienced nurse will provide preceptor/mentoring in assigned clinical area.
- The nurse extern will provide care to the patient including therapeutic play or sitting with the patient when needed; help order meals; baths; linen changes; provide relief for patient or guardian and take non-routine vitals when needed
St. Jude offers nurse externships in the following areas:
- Inpatient Leukemia
- Inpatient Solid Tumor
- Inpatient Bone Marrow Transplant
- Intensive Care Unit
- Intermediate Care Unit
You are eligible to apply if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You have completed basic medical/ surgical nursing in an accredited school of nursing
- You are within 12 months of graduation
- You have a GPA of 3.2 or higher