MD – Russian State Medical University
PhD – Russian Academy of Sciences
Postdoctoral – University of Illinois at Chicago and Columbia University/HHMI
Honors and Awards
- 2015 NARSAD Independent Investigator Award
- 2006 Searle Scholars Award
- 2006 Whitehall Foundation Award
- 2004 NARSAD Young Investigator Award
- 2004 Hereditary Disease Foundation, Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2004 Tourette Syndrome Association Award
- 2002 Charles E. Culpeper Pilot Initiative, Rockefeller Brother Fund Award
- 1997 Russian Foundation for Basic Science Award
- 1994 Fellowship of the President of the Russian Federation for best students
- Functional organization and plasticity of the auditory cortex
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of schizophrenia
- Synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus
View all Zakharenko publications via NLM PubMed.
Blundon JA, Roy NC, Teubner BJ, Yu J, Eom T-Y, Sample KJ, Pani A, Smeyne RJ, Han SB, Kerekes RA, Rose DC, Hackett TA, Vuppala PK, Freeman 3rd BB, Zakharenko SS. Restoring auditory cortical plasticity in adult mice by restricting thalamic adenosine signaling. Science 356(6345):1352-1356, 2017. Highlighted in Science 356(6345):1335-1336, Science Daily, Scientific American, Daily Mail, Wall Street Journal, and others.
Chun S, Du F, Westmoreland JJ, Han SB, Wang Y-D, Eddins D, Bayazitov IT, Devaraju P, Yu J, Mellado Lagarde MM, Anderson K, Zakharenko SS. Thalamic miR-338-3p mediates thalamocortical disruption and its late onset in 22q11 deletion syndrome models. Nature Medicine, (23)1:39-48, 2017. Highlighted in Nature Reviews Neuroscience, Forbes Magazine, Schizophrenia Research Forum, and others.
Chun S, Westmoreland JJ, Bayazitov IT, Eddins D, Pani AK, Smeyne RJ, Yu J, Blundon JA, Zakharenko SS. Specific disruption of thalamic inputs to the auditory cortex in schizophrenia models. Science 344(6188):1178-82, 2014. *Selected by the Faculty of 1000.
Blundon JA, Zakharenko SS. Presynaptic gating of postsynaptic plasticity: a plasticity filter in the adult auditory cortex. The Neuroscientist 19(5):465-78, 2013.
Earls LR, Fricke RG, Yu J, Berry RB, Baldwin L, Zakharenko SS. Age-dependent microRNA control of synaptic plasticity in 22q11 deletion syndrome and schizophrenia. Journal of Neuroscience 32(41):14132-14144, 2012. *Selected by the Faculty of 1000.
Earls LR, Bayazitov IT, Fricke RG, Berry RB, Illingworth E, Mittleman G, Zakharenko SS. Dysregulation of presynaptic calcium, synaptic plasticity and spatial memory in a mouse model of 22q11 deletion syndrome. Journal of Neuroscience 30(47):15843-15855, 2010. *Selected by the Faculty of 1000.
Richardson RJ, Blundon JA, Bayazitov IT, Zakharenko SS. Connectivity patterns revealed by mapping of active inputs on dendrites of thalamorecipient neurons in the auditory cortex. Journal of Neuroscience 29(20):6406-6417, 2009. *Selected by the Faculty of 1000.
Blundon JA, Zakharenko SS. Dissecting the components of long-term potentiation. The Neuroscientist 14(6):598-608, 2008.
Last update: October 2017