The Cancer Education and Outreach Internship program offers three motivated individuals an opportunity to gain practical experience part-time within the Cancer Education and Outreach program at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The program is designed for individuals seeking careers in science, public health, or K-12 science education in the Memphis area.
The Cancer Education and Outreach internships will be project focused with exposure to various applications of science education and outreach. Interns will facilitate the St. Jude Afterschool STEM Clubs in select elementary schools in the Memphis area and requires that individuals be available to visit schools from 3:30PM – 4:30PM Monday through Friday. In addition to school visits, interns are expected to maintain set office hours that can be flexibly scheduled to assist in project data transcription and materials preparation.
Interns are expected to engage in a part-time learning experience beginning August 2, 2021 through May 31, 2022. All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
Typical Learning Opportunities and Activities
As an experiential and immersive program, this internship will allow you to develop a cancer education knowledge base and hone your science communication skills through active participation in the St. Jude Afterschool STEM Clubs offered to students in grades 5-8 in select elementary and middle schools. This experience includes:
- Developing science communication skills.
- Facilitating science educational experiences for K-12 students in the Memphis area.
- Participating in IRB-approved educational research projects.
- Serving as part of a team with a focus on brainstorming and cultivating new ideas for cancer education and outreach activities.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- Candidates must be a science or education major with an interest in pursuing a career in science, public health, or K-12 science education in the Memphis-area; 3.0 GPA or above. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with advisor. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
- Must be entering junior or senior year to be considered.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage priorities and work autonomously as appropriate
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Curious, questioning and self-motivated
How to Apply
Please complete the application form, which will include submitting a cover letter and resume. Your letter should include a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected interns.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
June 25, 2021
Please email CEinternship@stjude.org with any questions.