The Cancer Education and Outreach Internship program offers three motivated individuals an opportunity to gain practical experience part-time within the Cancer Education and Outreach program at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The program is designed for individuals seeking careers in science or K-12 science education in the Memphis-area.
The Cancer Education and Outreach internships will be project focused with exposure to various applications of science education and outreach. Interns will facilitate the St. Jude Afterschool STEM Clubs in select elementary schools in the Memphis area.
Interns are expected to engage in a part-time learning experience beginning September 14, 2020 through May 31, 2021. All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
Typical Learning Opportunities and Activities
As an experiential and immersive program, this internship will allow you to develop a cancer education knowledge base and hone your science communication skills through active participation in the St. Jude Afterschool STEM Clubs offered to 5th-grade students in select elementary schools through the Cancer Education and Outreach program. This experience includes:
- Developing science communication skills by facilitating science educational experiences for 5th-grade students in the Memphis area.
- Taking part in a variety of activities to learn about St. Jude, including hospital tours, networking opportunities, and building relationships with a variety of professionals across the institution.
- Access to a dedicated mentor, to continue developing new skills beyond the internship.
- Serving as part of a team with a focus on brainstorming and cultivating new ideas for cancer education and outreach activities.
- Visiting schools to facilitate the St. Jude Afterschool STEM Club.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- Candidates must be a science or education major with an interest in pursuing a career in science or K-12 science education in the Memphis-area; 3.0 GPA or above. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with advisor. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
- Must be entering junior or senior year to be considered.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage priorities and work autonomously as appropriate
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Curious, questioning and self-motivated
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to CEinternship@stjude.org. Your letter should include a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected interns.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
September 4, 2020
Please email CEinternship@stjude.org with any questions.