The St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Healthcare Administration Internship offers a motivated individual an opportunity to spend a summer placement with the Strategic Planning Office and the Chief Administrative and Financial Officer departments. During the internship, the selected student will gain an in-depth understanding of pediatric hospital and clinic operations, clinical trials administration and research operations, with a focus on strategy, finance, facility planning and operations.
The internship is experiential and project-focused. The intern will play an essential role in various strategic planning, financial planning and operational projects and activities. As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills through a broad range of responsibilities including:
- Participate in various strategic and operational priority initiatives.
- Conduct market research for trend identification, strategy development and planning
- Draft reports and executive summaries based on conducted research, data analysis and financial projections.
- Learn strategic planning processes and organizational perspective to support the Strategic Plan; perspectives include organization culture, image, structure, operational efficiency, and market awareness.
- Assist with developing strategic and business plans for institution’s priorities.
- Analyze various key financial and non-financial metrics.
- Collect, understand, process, verify and report financial related-information to finance leaders.
Students interested in applying must be enrolled in an accredited college Master level program in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Public Health or similar program. Potential interns should be interested in healthcare administration with a focus on strategic planning and financial planning.
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; the ability to manage priorities and work in teams and autonomously as appropriate; proven ability to meet deadlines and a willingness to learn.
How to Apply
Step 1: Applications are currently be accepted and are due November 30, 2021 by midnight CST.
To apply, applicants must electronically submit the following items in PDF form via email to Shari Capers (email@example.com)
- Cover letter in PDF format addressing interest in healthcare administration and what you would like to learn during the St. Jude Internship experience.
- Current updated resume in PDF format.
- Graduate transcript (electronic unofficial copies will be accepted; download links will not be accepted). For first year students, if Fall semester grades are not yet available, please still send an unofficial transcript showing the currently enrolled/in progress classes.
- Please combine your cover letter and resume in one PDF file.
- Candidates who move to the next round will be contacted to participate in a virtual interview. We will be conducting virtual interviews only this year.
- Offers will be extended and all other applicants will be notified of their application status no later than January 31, 2022.
Candidates should note that our internship is a full-time learning experience. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm starting as early as May 2022 through August 2022. Specific dates depend on the successful candidate’s academic schedule. The internship is located in Memphis, TN.
Compensation and Housing
Compensation will be determined by St. Jude Leadership and will be based on the student's experience and the availability of funds. For non-local interns, the internship may sponsor housing up to a specific amount.
Application Contact Information
Interested students may contact Shari Capers via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. Additional information can be found in this internship overview.