The Information Services Internship program offers motivated individuals an opportunity to spend a summer placement within St. Jude’s information technology department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Interns will work side-by-side with IT professionals on projects in a professional environment to gain insight and experience into the fast-paced world of Healthcare IT. Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend.
This specific internship will be working with the Clinical Research Systems Team. The Intern will leverage team’s expertise, industry best practices and research, and academic background to engage in usage of current EDC (Electronic Data Capture) applications and assist in improving any existing processes. The intern will also have the opportunity to gain real world experience within information systems and assist the team in tasks which are essential to the department that are relevant to an assigned project. Clinical Research Systems team maintains tools (TrialMaster, Redcap and Redcap cloud) that form clinical trial research Infrastructure. CRS team also uses cloud technologies and build data models from multiple sources (CTMS, EHR, EDC) to support growing data complexities in the clinical research informatics ecosystems. We are also in the phase of retiring our home-grown EDC and move active trials to the newer EDCs to meet all standards of regulatory governance bodies as well as align with the implementation of newer applications that support research at St. Jude.
All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
The Information Services internships will be project focused with exposure to various components of an IT environment. The internship will conclude with a capstone presentation for senior level departmental executives.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday during standard office hours starting June 6, 2022 through August 12, 2022.
Please note: As of September 10, 2021, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for all employees, contractors, & interns, excluding those with an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination status is required.
Typical Learning Opportunities
As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills on a broad range of areas including:
- Brainstorming and cultivating new ideas that expand how information technology is delivered to the St. Jude customer (ranging from employees to patient care).
- Training through topic-based sessions conducted by information technology executives.
- Working with technology to align the department with the institutional strategic direction to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
- Learning about the industry and gaining invaluable experiences working on IT related projects.
- Additionally, you will take part in a variety of activities such as hospital tours, networking opportunities, building relationships with a variety of professionals across the institution, and have access to a dedicated mentor, to continue developing new skills.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- Candidates are accepted from all majors; an interest in computer science or other IT-related field is preferred 3.0 GPA or above. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with advisor. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
- Be entering sophomore, junior, or senior year to be considered.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage priorities and work autonomously as appropriate
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to ITinternships@stjude.org. Your letter should include which Information Services internship you’re applying for and a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will quality for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected interns.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
The application deadline for the Summer 2022 internship is January 15, 2022.
Please email ITinternship@stjude.org with any questions.