How to give intentionally to St. Jude
Unlike other hospitals, the majority of funding for St. Jude comes from generous donors. And, families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food — so they can focus on helping their child live.
Show your support for cutting-edge pediatric cancer research by donating to St. Jude. We've provided a series of steps to guide you toward making the contribution that's right for you:
When you give to St. Jude, you're joining a community of donors that provides the vital funding needed to reach one common goal: saving the lives of kids with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Here are a few questions to help you think through your personal motivations and decide on your donation plans:
- What inspires you to help the kids of St. Jude and their families?
- What do you want to accomplish by giving?
- What resources do you want to contribute?
Goals for charitable giving are highly individual, and you don’t need to arrive at one “correct answer” to make a positive difference. It might be helpful to define goals that align with your values, such as donating to cancer research because finding cures is important to you. Regardless of your reasons for giving, by helping us help more children survive their catastrophic diseases, your gift will have a meaningful impact for generations to come.
Become a monthly donor
When you donate monthly by becoming a St. Jude Partner in Hope, you're helping us plan ahead by providing a steady source of funding for ongoing research initiatives and patient care. As a thank you, you'll get exclusive communications from us so you can keep track of the progress we make — together.
Explore legacy and planned giving
With planned giving to St. Jude, you can achieve your financial and personal goals while helping St. Jude kids. Explore our options for gifts that make an impact after your lifetime, as well as gifts you can make today and gifts that pay you income.
Join or create a fundraiser
Make a difference while doing what you love by hosting a fundraiser in your community or online. From charity runs to bake sales and virtual campaigns, your opportunities are endless. Plus, we'll provide resources to help you organize your event and get the word out.
Make an in-kind donation
St. Jude accepts in-kind donations of items such as art supplies, toys and other goods that help make a child's hospital stay more comfortable. See our complete list for more ideas.
Check for matching gifts
Many employers offer matching gift programs, so you can double — or even triple — your gift. Check with your employer to see if they participate, or search our list of eligible employers to see if you can get your donation matched.
Take your tax deductions
Charitable tax deductions can help you make the most of your gifts and ensure you can give more later. Donations to St. Jude are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Keep a record of your donations and consult a tax professional if you have questions.
Explore partnership opportunities
If you represent an organization, consider partnering with us. St. Jude considers foundations, for-profit organizations and other nonprofits for partnerships, and we personalize every partnership based on your priorities. Together, we can do more to cure childhood cancer.
Use a giving plan to make the most of your donation. Here are some elements to help you get started:
- A timeline for your donations: Decide how often and at what times you’d like to make your donations, and whether you want them to be automatic or manual.
- A giving budget: Determine how much you'd like to give. Consult with your partner or other loved ones if your financial decisions affect others.
- An understanding of tax implications: Research the tax considerations of your donations, and take advantage of deductions and other incentives. If you have questions, consult a tax professional.
- An assessment of what success looks like: Think about what you hope to get out of your giving habits and how you can ensure your actions are contributing to your charitable plan.
- A way to cultivate inspiration and meaning: Decide how you'd like to stay connected to the St. Jude mission and derive meaning from your generous actions.
Now that you have a plan in place, it's time to put it into action. Here are some tactics to help you stay on track:
- Stay informed about the work being done at St. Jude so you can adjust your giving strategy, if needed, and remain connected to the meaning of your gifts.
- Set up a monthly or bi-weekly check-in with yourself to track your donations.
- Keep records of your donations for tax purposes (and pass them along to your accountant, if you have one).
Explore nonmonetary contributions
Outside of financial contributions, you can get involved with St. Jude in various ways:
- Volunteer: St. Jude has volunteer opportunities in Memphis, Tenn., where our main campus is, and in communities near you, as well as virtual options.
- Attend events: We also have fundraising events in person and virtually across the United States. Find an event close to you.
- Make a St. Jude patient's day: Send a free online card to St. Jude patients with pre-written messages, or write your own to bring them support and encouragement.
Give while shopping
As you shop for holidays, birthdays and other special occasions, consider gifts that give back:
- Shop the St. Jude Gift Shop: Browse our collection to find the perfect present — for a loved one or yourself. Every purchase supports the lifesaving mission of St. Jude.
- Order checks and address labels: Whether you’re paying bills or buying groceries, you’ll be sharing a story of hope when you use our checks and address labels with St. Jude designs or patient artwork.
Stay informed and get inspired
We have numerous resources in various formats for donors, families, patients and the general public. Here are some starting places:
Why give to St. Jude?
When St. Jude opened in 1962, childhood cancer was considered incurable. Since then, St. Jude has helped push the overall survival rate from 20% to more than 80%, and we won't stop until no child dies from cancer.
When you support St. Jude, you're helping provide hope and healing for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases, as well as their families. By donating and getting involved, you can contribute to the work that St. Jude does every day to advance treatments and save lives. Thank you for considering St. Jude in your giving plans.