The St. Jude pediatric surgical oncology fellowship is a non-ACGME accredited program designed to accommodate candidates with various surgical backgrounds who desire additional training in pediatric surgical oncology. Most of our trainees are interested in developing a career in academic pediatric surgical oncology either in the United States or in their home country after completion of their fellowships.
The fellowship is a two year program in clinical pediatric surgical oncology. While the fellowship can be tailored to the needs of the candidate depending on previous training, the emphasis will be on the clinical management of children with a variety of pediatric malignancies. The first year junior fellow will, in most cases, spend a three month rotation at Le Bonheur Children’s Medical Center in the care of general pediatric surgical patients.
- Weekly case management conference led by the pediatric surgical oncology fellows where the previous week’s cases are presented and discussed with the St. Jude surgical faculty
- Weekly institutional conferences at St. Jude include; Grand Rounds, Solid Tumor Conference and Tumor Board
- Monthly surgical Morbidity and Mortality conferences with St. Jude surgical faculty
- Weekly conferences at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
- Joint education program by videoconference every third month with Vanderbilt University
- Quarterly videoconference with Durban, South Africa.
Pediatric surgical oncology fellows are expected to be involved in clinical research projects and may choose to spend an additional (third) year involved in basic/clinical research as part of their training.
A potential elective rotation at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is possible to provide St. Jude pediatric surgical oncology fellows with an opportunity to spend three to four months on the adult sarcoma service, under the direction of Dr. Jeffrey Lee.
Applicants should submit an application along with their curriculum vitae to:
View all current open clinical fellowship positions. Each position contains a detailed description, requirements and contact information.