The Family, Guest and Volunteer Services Internship program is currently suspended. This website will be updated when an internship opportunity resumes in this area.
The Family, Guest & Volunteer Services department offers internships with stipend each semester (fall, spring and summer). Interns gain a well-rounded experience in many areas, including coordinating and implementing programs and events, writing for newsletters and other print pieces, motivating, and supervising volunteers, organizing events, planning and hosting meetings, customer service, data management, statistical tracking, general office management, and exposure in a hospital setting. Successful candidates will qualify for a paid stipend.
This internship is well suited for individuals seeking careers in fields such as non-profit management, business, communications, marketing, public administration, psychology, social services, public relations, and hospital administration. All internships are in Memphis, TN.
Internships may be part-part or full-time learning experiences, with flexible schedules which may include evening and weekend availability.
Typical Learning Opportunities
The Family, Guest and Volunteer Services internship is an immersive program where interns spend time side by side with staff mentors who will equip them with learning competencies and develop their practical skills across a broad range of areas, including Patient and Family Centered Care and Volunteer Services programming, these include:
- Volunteer coordination through implementation of programs
- Maintenance of program quality and integrity
- A variety of projects designed to retain volunteers such as birthday recognition, writing of volunteer articles, satisfaction surveys, implementing appreciation activities and more
- Interpersonal relationship building with staff, volunteers and parent advisers across all levels of the institution
- · Training and promotion of various programs such as the Helping Hands Program, Family Centered Care Program, Parent Mentor Program, or summer programming
- · Entering data, maintaining statistics, and generating reports for volunteer programs using various databases
- Preparing for meetings, agenda planning, logistics, AV set up, minute taking, and meeting follow up
- Preparing presentation proposals and materials
- Research projects, program evaluation, research initiatives and Evidence Based Practice proposals
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program during the semester you would be completing the internship
- Preferred area of course concentration in non-profit management, business, communications, marketing, public relations, public administration, psychology or counseling, social services, family services, human resources and hospital administration
- Must be Junior or Senior to be considered for the Volunteer Services internship, Masters Level preferred for the Patient and Family-Centered Care internship
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 in each of the last three semesters. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with advisor
Characteristics and Experience of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed in securing one of our highly competitive placements are likely to be those possessing certain pre-requisite characteristics and areas of knowledge, including:
- An ability to interact positively with people of all ages and backgrounds, ranging from St. Jude patients and their parents, hospital staff across all levels, volunteers or members of the general public
- An ability to communicate effectively verbal and written
- Good organizational abilities with a strong attention to detail
- A knowledge of the skills important to customer service, event promotion and implementation, researching and delivering a creative project, and the willingness to learn and develop further knowledge and skills in these areas
- Operation of Microsoft Office Products such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher and Excel, or similar products produced by other manufacturers
- Track record of successful work and/or volunteer experience
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in the Family, Guest and Volunteer Services internship program. Regretfully, the internship program is suspended at this time. We invite you to revisit this page for updates on the status of our program.
Deadline to Apply
We are currently not accepting applications.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.