To help ensure the safety of our campus for our patients, their families and our employees as the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we have made the difficult decision to suspend most of the volunteer, student, trainee and intern programs on our campus effective Monday, March 23, 2020. The website will be updated when programming resumes.
The Family, Guest & Volunteer Services department offers four internships with stipend each semester (fall, spring and summer). Our interns gain a well-rounded experience in many areas, including: coordinating and implementing programs and events, writing for newsletters and other print pieces, motivating and supervising volunteers, organizing events, planning and hosting meetings, customer service, data management, statistical tracking, general office management, and exposure in a hospital setting. Successful candidates will qualify for a paid stipend.
This internship is well suited for individuals seeking careers in fields such as non-profit management, business, communications, marketing, public administration, psychology, social services, public relations and hospital administration. All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday and some evenings and weekends if you are to benefit fully from the experience.
Typical Learning Opportunities
In an immersive program you will spend your days side by side with your program mentors who will equip you with learning competencies and develop your practical skills across a broad range of areas, including Patient and Family Centered Care and Volunteer Services programming, these include:
- Volunteer coordination through implementation of programs
- Maintenance of program quality and integrity
- A variety of projects designed to retain volunteers such as birthday recognition, writing of volunteer articles, satisfaction surveys, implementing appreciation activities and more
- Interpersonal relationship building with staff, volunteers and parent advisers across all levels of the institution
- Training and promotion of various programs such as the Helping Hands Program, Family Centered Care Program, Parent Mentor Program, or the Volunteen program
- Entering data, maintaining statistics and generating reports for volunteer programs using various databases
- Preparing for meetings, agenda planning, logistics, AV set up, minute taking, and meeting follow up
- Preparing presentation proposals and materials
- Research projects, program evaluation, research initiatives and Evidence Based Practice proposals
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program during the semester you would be completing the internship
- Preferred area of course concentration in non-profit management, business, communications, marketing, public relations, public administration, psychology or counseling, social services, family services, human resources and hospital administration
- Must be Junior or Senior to be considered; Masters Level preferred
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 in each of the last three semesters. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with advisor
Characteristics and Experience of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed in securing one of our highly competitive placements are likely to be those possessing certain pre-requisite characteristics and areas of knowledge, including:
- An ability to interact positively with people of all ages and backgrounds, ranging from St. Jude patients and their parents, hospital staff across all levels, volunteers or members of the general public
- An ability to communicate effectively verbal and written
- Good organizational abilities with a strong attention to detail
- A knowledge of the skills important to customer service, event promotion and implementation, researching and delivering a creative project, and the willingness to learn and develop further knowledge and skills in these areas
- Operation of Microsoft Office Products such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher and Excel, or similar products produced by other manufacturers
- Track record of successful work and/or volunteer experience
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in the Family, Guest and Volunteer Services internship program. Regretfully, due to the current COVID-19 response, we have made the difficult decision to suspend our internship program through May 2021. St. Jude is exercising an abundance of caution to comprehensively and proactively address COVID-19 to help ensure the safety of our patients, their family members, and staff. We invite you to revisit this page for updates on the status of our program. Interns are an important part of the St. Jude family, and we thank you for your understanding during this unprecedented situation.
Deadline to Apply
We are not accepting applications for Summer or Fall 2020 at this time.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.