Nineteen St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital scientists working in laboratories and clinics have been named to the 2020 list of Highly Cited Researchers. The list, based on the Web of Science citation index, reflects how often scientists’ published research is cited by other investigators, which is a measure of their professional impact.
The 2020 list includes St. Jude researchers working in a dozen departments and research centers.
The list is based on publications scientists produced between 2009 and 2019 that ranked in the top 1% by citations for their field and publication year in the Web of Science citation index. The site is operated by Clarivate, a London firm that publishes the Highly Cited Researchers list. The 2020 list includes more than 6,000 researchers, representing 21 fields of science and social sciences, along with those whose influence crosses several fields based on high-impact publications. That translates into 1 in 1,000 of the scientists and social scientists working worldwide, according to Clarivate’s calculation.
St. Jude researchers on the 2020 list of Highly Cited Researchers and the scientific fields in which they are highly cited are:
- Kelly Caudle, Pharm.D., Ph.D., Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pharmacology and Toxicology)
- Hongbo Chi, Ph.D., Immunology (Immunology)
- James R. Downing, M.D., St. Jude president and CEO (Cross Field)
- John Easton, Ph.D., Computational Biology (Cross Field)
- David Ellison, M.D., Ph.D., Pathology chair (Cross Field)
- Amar Gajjar, M.D., Pediatric Medicine chair (Cross Field)
- Douglas Green, Ph.D., Immunology chair (Immunology, Molecular Biology and Genetics)
- Thirumala-Devi Kanneganti, Ph.D., Immunology vice-chair (Immunology)
- Richard Kriwacki, Ph.D., Structural Biology (Cross Field)
- Jing Ma, Ph.D., Clinical Application Core (Cross Field)
- Charles Mullighan, M.B.B.S. (Hons), M.D., Pathology (Cross Field)
- Ching-Hon Pui, M.D., Oncology chair (Cross Field)
- Mary Relling, Pharm.D., Pharmaceutical Sciences (Cross Field)
- Michael Rusch, Computational Biology (Cross Field)
- J. Paul Taylor, M.D., Ph.D., Cell and Molecular Biology chair (Cross Field)
- Shengdar Tsai, Ph.D., Hematology (Biology and Biochemistry)
- Peter Vogel, D.V.M., Ph.D., Advanced Histology Core (Immunology)
- Richard Webby, Ph.D., Infectious Diseases (Cross Field)
- Jinghui Zhang, Ph.D., Computational Biology chair (Cross Field)
The full 2020 Highly Cited Researchers list and executive summary can be found online.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is leading the way the world understands, treats and cures childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. It is the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center devoted solely to children. Treatments developed at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to 80 percent since the hospital opened more than 50 years ago. St. Jude freely shares the breakthroughs it makes, and every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing and food — because all a family should worry about is helping their child live. To learn more, visit stjude.org or follow St. Jude on social media at @stjuderesearch.