Why should I take my child to the St. Jude affiliate clinic in Charlotte?
When a child is sick, most parents would go to the ends of the earth for the best care. But if you live in the southeastern United States, the best care may be close to home. Children with cancer or blood disorders can now be treated in Charlotte, NC, at the St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital. It’s the only St. Jude affiliate clinic in the Carolinas. Its location is just one reason it could be the best place for your child.
Treatment for many types of cancer
The St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital treats the same types of cancer as St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis:
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
- Brain tumors
- Ewing sarcoma
- Wilms tumor
The St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Noval Health Hemby Children’s Hospital and its physicians and clinical staff have the best training, credentials and support to care for your child:
- Doctors are nationally recognized for their work in treating cancer and blood disorders and work closely with St. Jude experts in Memphis.
- Certified pediatric oncology nurses (CPONs) give your child specialized care.
- Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital is one of only 5% of U.S. hospitals to be a Magnet Health Care facility. This is a mark of the highest level of nursing care.
- It is a member of the Children's Oncology Group. This research group is funded by the National Cancer Institute.
Access to clinical trials
Because of our affiliation with St. Jude, the St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital gives your child access to more clinical trials than any other facility in the Southeast.
Many clinical trials study new, experimental drugs to find out how well they work in treating diseases such as cancer. Experimental means that doctors are trying something new. If researchers learn that the new drugs work better than standard treatments, they will keep testing. After further testing, the experimental drugs become the new standard treatments for other children. This type of research has led to new treatments that increase your child’s chances for a better future—and for a cure.
Lessening the impact of cancer on your child’s life
Staff at the St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital want kids to get back to their normal activities. The goal is to offer every child who walks through the doors easy access to quality care in a child-friendly environment. Here are a few ways they do that:
- Exam rooms are welcoming and decorated with a beach theme. At the end of the visit, your child will get a gift from the treasure chest.
- The Novant Health Buddy Kemp Cancer Support Center community cancer program has support groups, counseling services, educational programs and a library for children with cancer, as well as for their families and friends.
- The Arts for Life program uses art to help your child cope with illness and treatment.
Support for your whole family
Just like at St. Jude in Memphis, the St. Jude affiliate clinic provides care that focuses on your child’s as well as your family’s emotional, spiritual and social needs.
Child Life specialists are trained in child development. They can:
- Clearly explain tests and other care to your child
- Set up play activities that may help your child cope with the stress of treatment
- Visit your child’s school to teach the class about your child’s illness and treatment
Social workers help provide support to your family, including:
- Emotional support
- Financial, educational and community resources
- Transportation and housing options
- Help with out-of-state treatment needs
Chaplains offer their services 24 hours for spiritual guidance and support. Your family may take part in:
- Individual and group prayer
- Phone consultations
- Help with end-of-life issues and decisions
- Help with grief and bereavement
To learn more, visit www.novanthealth.org/Hemby/StJudeClinic.