St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital would like to honor children who died between March 31, 2013 and April 30, 2018 by inviting their immediate families to our 19th annual Day of Remembrance weekend, November 2–3, 2018. The Day of Remembrance was created by a task force of St. Jude bereaved parents like you. They wanted to ensure that other St. Jude families had the opportunity to honor the memories of their children here at the hospital.
Having a child with a life-threatening illness often bonds families and leads to lifelong friendships. Families also form bonds with staff throughout the hospital. You and your children have touched and inspired so many of us at St. Jude. The Day of Remembrance weekend is meant to honor your child through memories; renew, strengthen, and acknowledge your connections with St. Jude staff and families; and create new connections.
If you would like an information packet and registration form mailed to you, please contact Lisa Clark or call 901-595-2658.
We truly hope you will join us for this event. We look forward to seeing you in November.
A detailed agenda will be sent to you following your approved registration. If you have questions, please contact Lisa Clark or call 901-595-2658.
Check-in and Memory Board Decoration – St. Jude campus, Friday morning
Welcome Reception – St. Jude campus, Friday afternoon
Reconnect with staff and decorate a display board honoring your child’s legacy.
Family Reception – St. Jude campus, Friday evening
Families are invited to enjoy a special dinner hosted by James Downing, M.D., St. Jude chief executive officer, and our bereaved parent panelists. Following dinner, you will have an opportunity to relax and visit with other families.
Sibling Activities – St. Jude Campus, Friday evening
Children and teens up to age 16 can enjoy movies and games following dinner with their families. Trained sitters will provide care and activities for children ages 0-5.
Breakfast Buffet – Kay Kafe, Saturday morning
Parent Panel – St. Jude campus, Saturday morning
Panelists representing St. Jude families will explore various topics of grief and bereavement. Memory-making activities for siblings, ages 4 to 19, will be provided during the panel discussions.
Luncheon Buffet – Kay Kafe
Celebration of Remembrance – early afternoon
A special service honoring your child.
Additional Event Information
Friday, November 2, 2018
- Select an available poster board and stand upon your arrival to the GEC Atrium.
- Dimensions of poster board and stand: About 5 ft. high x 4 ft. wide
- Display lightweight items on the board, such as your child’s artwork, photos, favorite t-shirt, cards, mementos, etc.
- You may bring cut-out letters or a sign with your child’s name that can be displayed on the board.
- Push pins will be provided; you may also bring your own push pins or Velcro dots.
- We cannot provide additional tables or space. Please do not bring anything that requires an electrical outlet.
- All items to be displayed need to fit on the board or directly in front of it. Please do not bring too many items that must sit on the floor or items that could be easily broken if accidentally knocked over.
- The memory board provides a chance for you to share favorite memories of your child in a way that is most comfortable to you. You may decorate your board as simply or as elaborately as you choose. The photo in this section is an example of a more elaborate board.
- You do not have to create a memory board to attend the Welcome Reception. If you prefer not to decorate a board, you may simply choose to put your child’s name on a board so that staff will know where to find you.
Day of Remembrance is filled with activities for siblings. The general schedule of sibling activities is described below. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions. More information will be given when you arrive for the event.
Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
St. Jude-trained volunteers will offer activities for children ages 3 and older at a table in the same area where you will be setting up memory board displays and visiting with staff and families. We will have coloring books, games, puzzles, stickers, etc. Your child can visit the activity area throughout this time.
Children and teens up to 16 can enjoy movies, games and fun activities following dinner at the family reception. Activities for siblings will be led by St. Jude volunteers and trained sitters in the GEC.
- Ages 0 to 5—Trained sitters will provide care and activities
- Ages 5 to 16—Movies and games will begin at 6:30 p.m.
- Child pick-up—Children must be signed out of the Board Room of the GEC by a parent or caregiver no later than 8:10 p.m.
Saturday, 8 a.m.-Noon
- We will have activities for 4 different age groups.
- Birth–2 year olds will be in a room with age-appropriate activities. Please provide diapers, bottles, snacks, etc.
- 3–6 year olds will be in a room with age-appropriate activities, snacks, and rest time.
- 7–12 year olds will be in a room with age-appropriate activities and games.
- 13 year olds and older will start in the same room as the 7–12 year olds but will spend time in the St. Jude Teen Room later in the morning.
- Ages 4–19 will attend a special Child Life memory-making activity from 9:15–10:30 a.m.
- Snacks for kids 3 years and older will be provided. Be sure to notify us if your child has any special needs or dietary restrictions.
- Please make sure to be reachable by cell phone in case we need to contact you.
- Pick up will be at 12 p.m. (noon) in the same room that you dropped off your child. Children may not leave until they are signed out by a parent or caregiver.
St. Jude is pleased to provide help with travel costs to families living more than 35 miles outside Memphis. If you live 50 miles or more from Memphis, St. Jude will provide you with a hotel room on Friday, November 2, 2018, for 4 family members at SpringHill Suites. We can make reservations for more nights, but you will have to pay for each extra night at the time of check-in. The cost of each additional night at the hotel will be $117 plus $22.78 tax, totaling $139.78. Once we receive your registration form, we will send hotel confirmation and more information.
If you are driving:
If you live more than 35 miles away, St. Jude will reimburse mileage at $.17 per mile, up to $500 per family.
- Tell us on your registration form that you will be driving.
- When you check in at Day of Remembrance Friday, November 2, the staff will reimburse you for your mileage.
- St. Jude will pay for self-parking at the hotel for Friday night, November 2. You may keep your car parked at the hotel at no further charge until the Day of Remembrance event ends on Saturday, November 3. You will be charged $10 for each additional night of self-parking after the event ends on Saturday.
- St. Jude will provide shuttle service to and from the hotel on Friday and Saturday.
If you are flying:
If you live more than 300 miles away, St. Jude will provide up to $500 per family to help with the cost of air travel.
- Tell us on your registration form that you will be flying.
- Within 5 days after St. Jude receives your completed registration, you will receive a confirmation number by email (or by phone if you do not have email access).
- When you receive your confirmation number, call the St. Jude Travel Office at (901) 595-5000, Option 1, to make your travel arrangements.
- Please have your credit card information at the time of your call. You will have to pay for any amount greater than $500.
- St. Jude will provide shuttle service to and from the airport.
- St. Jude will provide shuttle service to and from the hotel and St. Jude on Friday and Saturday.
- St. Jude is providing help with travel costs for you to attend Day of Remembrance. We understand that the maximum amount of $500 per family might not be enough for every family or family member to attend the event.
- Some airline schedules may not offer flights that would allow you to spend only one night in Memphis. St. Jude will pay for one night at SpringHill Suites (Friday, November 2). You will have to pay for any extra nights in the hotel.
- St. Jude will not pay any baggage fees and will not provide reimbursement for baggage expenses.
- St. Jude will not be responsible for providing housing if you have a cancelled or delayed flight.
November 2–3, 2018 - Hours of Operation
The Hospital Gift Shop
8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
ALSAC Gift Shop
Friday, 10 am.–5 p.m
Saturday, 10 a.m.–3 p.m.