St. Jude treats children and young adults with newly diagnosed or suspected pediatric cancer, HIV infections or certain hematologic or genetic diseases that we treat. We accept most patients based on their ability to enroll in an open clinical trial. Subscribe to our monthly email physician alert to stay up to date on our open research protocols.
To refer a patient to St. Jude, the patient's physician will need to make contact with St. Jude. As the referring physician, you can call toll free 1-888-226-4343 or request a referral online. You may also contact the Physician-to-Physician Referral Facilitator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to refer your patient
St. Jude offers exceptional care to eligible children and young adults with diagnosed or suspected diagnoses of:
- Cancers we treat
- Sickle cell disease and other blood disorders we treat
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Genetic conditions that increase a child's risk of cancer
We accept most patients based on their ability to enroll in an open clinical trial.
View open clinical trials.
For most diseases and treatments, St. Jude accepts children, adolescents and young adults who are 21 years old or younger at the time of acceptance. Exceptions to this age limit include:
Children age 18 years old or younger:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and some other forms of childhood leukemia
- Nonmalignant hematological disorders (non-cancerous blood disorders)
- Genetic predisposition for cancer
Children and young adults age 25 years old or younger:
- Certain solid tumors
- Certain brain tumors
- Radiation oncology
When you contact St. Jude, we will request standard demographic information to initiate the referral or consultation process. This includes:
- Referring physician name and contact information
- Patient’s name
- Patient’s date of birth
- Patient’s address and phone number
- Patient diagnosis and treatment history
You can contact St. Jude to initiate a referral or request a free consultation for your patient by:
- Contact the Physician / Patient Referral Office. This is the primary way to reach St. Jude for referral information and requests.
- For specific service lines, you can also reach out to individual referral contacts. These include:
In addition to being treated at St. Jude, which is located in Memphis, Tennessee, patients may have the option to receive care at one of our eight regional affiliate clinics through the St. Jude Affiliate Program. When a St. Jude affiliate is a child's primary treatment center, we may accept a child regardless of his or her ability to enroll in an open clinical trial. To refer a child to a St. Jude affiliate clinic, you should call the appropriate affiliate site.
Learn more about St. Jude Affiliate Clinics.
If a more formal medical record evaluation is requested, additional specific information may be required. This could include:
- Clinical summary from diagnosis to present, including all specific treatment flow sheets, dates and doses of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy
- All appropriate diagnostic material including paraffin blocks, H & E slides of the tumor or bone marrow aspirate and biopsy slides
- All CT, MRI or nuclear medicine films and reports from the date of diagnosis
- The most recent disease evaluation. This can include either imaging studies or marrow aspirates and biopsies
- Surgery dates and OR reports
- Immunocytology or immunopathology reports, including any and all flow studies or any and all molecular studies
- Any cryopreserved tumor, stem cells or marrow reports
- The most recent general evaluation, including as appropriate the ECHO, EKG, cardiac, liver function tests and metabolic studies
- Any other appropriate information specific to the tumor type
After you have referred your patient, and he / she has been accepted as a patient at St. Jude, your patient's family will want to know what to expect when they initially arrive in Memphis. The Patient Resources section provides a wealth of valuable information. Patients and families are encouraged to refer to this information before, during and after treatment at St. Jude.
Throughout the patient's treatment at St. Jude, the referring physician can check the patient's progress by calling 1-888-226-4343 or by emailing email@example.com.