To help us meet the needs of our patients and families, we developed the Patient Family-Centered Care Volunteer Program. The main purpose of the program is for St. Jude patients, family and friends to give us input and invaluable insight to make St. Jude the best place possible for patients and families.
Qualities volunteers should possess
- Positive attitude about St. Jude and enthusiasm about its mission of excellence in patient care, education, research and patient family-centered care initiatives.
- Recent experience with receiving care at St. Jude or having a child receive care at St. Jude.
- Ability to share their experiences and insight in a balanced and objective way.
- Ability to listen to and reflect on differing points of view.
- Ability to work together with others.
- Respect for diversity.
- Ability to keep information private (confidentiality).
- Commitment to being a volunteer.
Staff and physicians will be asked to recommend patients and families they believe may be effective volunteers. Patients and family members may self-refer by completing an application.
St. Jude welcomes volunteer applications from current and former St. Jude patients, family members and friends of current and former patients. All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age or older. Applicants should have experience as a patient or have directly cared for a current or former St. Jude patient or family. St. Jude staff, patients, families and friends can also recommend other individuals to serve as parent adviser volunteers.
A selection committee, which includes Patient Family Advisory Council (PFAC) members and St. Jude staff, reviews volunteer applications. The PFCC team will notify all applicants of the results.
Volunteers receive an orientation, including education on the St. Jude mission and values and the principles of patient family-centered care (PFCC). Education and training related to specific roles may be ongoing for St. Jude staff and PFCC volunteers.
For more information, please contact the Director of Family, Guest and Volunteer Services, Kathryn Berry-Carter at email@example.com.
If you are interested in applying to become a PFCC volunteer, please complete the application. Once your application is received, a PFCC representative will contact you.