When you arrive at St. Jude, your first stop will be Patient Registration.
Patient Registration is located near the lobby of the Patient Care Center (PCC). You or your taxi will use the driving directions to arrive at the hospital.
Each hospital gate has security 24/7. Security will direct you to the Patient Care Center, where staff will help you park during the day.
Information for your first visit
Here is the information you should bring for your first visit:
- Child’s birth certificate
- Child’s Social Security number
- Your Social Security number
- Copies of custody or divorce papers (including court orders and parenting plans), guardianship papers and power of attorney documents to verify who can sign for your child’s medical tests and treatments.
- Photo identification (driver’s license, ID card)
- Insurance card(s)
- Employer information for the patient, parent(s) or guardian(s)
- Emergency contact(s) name, address and phone numbers
- Insurance information (including medical, pharmacy and dental insurance cards)
- Family doctor's name, address, phone, fax and email address
- Name of doctor your insurance company assigned as your child’s primary care physician (including address, phone, fax and email address)
Your first visit may take longer than usual as St. Jude staff gather necessary information from you. After we have your child's information, a staff member will begin your child’s medical chart.
Patient Identification (ID) armband
Each time you visit, your child must receive an identification (ID) armband. You will receive this at the Patient Registration desk. You will also receive a schedule card that lists the areas your child needs to visit that day. The ID armband should be removed when your child leaves for the day.
Patient Registration hours
The Patient Registration Office is open:
- Monday through Friday: 6a.m.–10:30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 7a.m.–10:30 p.m.
When Patient Registration is closed, the nursing coordinator will fill out a brief registration. Another staff member will talk to you at a later time to complete the needed paperwork.
Chili’s Care Center Registration is open Monday through Friday: 6 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
K-Mart Building Registration is open Monday through Friday: 6 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Personal and contact information updates
If you have changes in your phone number, address, insurance, emergency contacts or other important details, please call Patient Registration.
- If you are in the hospital, dial 3707.
- If you are in Memphis, dial 901-595-3707.
- If you are outside the Memphis area, call 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833) and press 2#.
- Email Patient Registration at PatientInfoUpdate@stjude.org.
Before your child begins treatment, the staff will ask you to read and sign a general consent form. When you sign this form you are allowing the St. Jude staff to do tests that can help us learn (or confirm) which illness is affecting your child. When test results come back, a St. Jude doctor will meet with you to discuss the findings and treatment options. At this time, you will hear about any clinical research studies that may be open to your child.
If you agree to the suggested treatment plan, a staff member will ask you to sign a second set of consent forms. These forms say that you choose to enroll your child in (or sign him up for) a clinical research study and that you agree to the treatment your child will receive.
It is very important that you understand all consent forms and proposed treatments. If you have any trouble reading or understanding these forms, please tell the staff. We want you to ask as many questions as needed for you to understand the information that the staff gives you. As your child’s treatment progresses, you might be asked to sign other consent forms for certain tests and treatments.
Research Participant Advocate
St. Jude has a research participant advocate who is here to help answer your questions about your rights if you and your child choose to take part in a research study.
To reach the research participant advocate, call (901) 595-4644.
If you are outside the Memphis area, dial toll-free 1-866-JUDE IRB (1-866-583-3472).