A St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital research study seeks adult volunteers to help us learn more about sleep and heart health. You must be at least 18 years old and have no history of cancer to take part in this research study. The study requires wearing a sleep monitoring device at home for 2 nights. You will also complete several study tests.
To enroll or get more details, email APNEA@stjude.org or call 901-595-7567.
Frequently asked questions
How long will I be in this research study?
Research study activities will occur either on the St. Jude campus or virtually over part of 3 to 4 days. One of the research activities involves wearing a device while asleep. That is why the study lasts several days. Daytime activities for the study will not require much time.
Will I be paid for taking part in this study?
You will get $150 after you complete the study.
Who can take part in this research study?
Adults at least 18 years old may be in the study. You do not have to have sleep apnea to take part.
Who is not eligible for this research study?
You cannot be in the study if you have a history of cancer. You cannot take part if you are pregnant.
What steps are involved in this research study?
First, we will explain the research study to you by e-mail or phone.
If you live in the Memphis area and are eligible to take part, we will:
- Schedule several days for you to come to campus for a series of tests
- Give you a brain scan (MRI)
- Draw a blood sample
- Ask questions about your health
- Give you thinking and memory tests
- Check on your heart and lung health
- Give you a sleep-monitoring device to wear at home for 2 nights
If you are eligible to take part, you can still take part remotely if you live in Memphis or anywhere within the United States. You must have a home Wi-Fi connection to do this. We will:
- Mail you all of the needed supplies
- Send you a sleep-monitoring device to wear at home for 2 nights
- Send you a kit to collect a few drops of blood from your finger
- Have you fill out some questionnaires
- Ask you to take thinking and memory tests
- Ask you to have some heart and lung tests
We will show you how to do these tests during online visits with trained professionals.