- Families were involved in the planning and design of the Linda R. Hajar Family Resource Center that provides access to books, tapes, CD’s, journals, computers for internet access, fax, photocopying, and a place to read and relax.
- Parents were asked how to change the current wording of MRI appointment cards to better communicate clearly that early arrival for scans was necessary for consent signing.
- Patients were surveyed on games that they would like in the South Outpatient Arcade. Suggestions were given to the game designer to incorporate as feasible.
- Parents were included on the discharge planning task force to address issues and offer suggestions for improvement of inpatient discharges.
- Met with ICU Director to discuss Patient Satisfaction Survey results.
- Met with Rapid Response Team focus group to discuss issues related to parental involvement of RRT calls.
- Parents participated in Critical Care Training Course sharing their stories of being in the ICU and answering any questions related to their child’s care experience.
- Family Advisory Council parent members contributed to the development of an educational video regarding informed consent for the PG4KDS research protocol.
- Family Advisory Council meets monthly to foster the mutually beneficial partnership of patients, families and healthcare providers in creating informed, respectful, safe and effective quality of care.
- Parents are included on the planning committee for Survivors Day, including activities for siblings of cancer survivors.
- A parent is a member of the Institutional Review Board reviewing emergent single patient treatment plans and informed consents for readability and understanding as well as offering a patient’s view of the consent process and suggestions for improvement.
- A parent speaks to each nurse orientation class to discuss the experience of being a patient at St. Jude and answer any questions related to their experiences.
- Patient family members are included on the Newsletter Advisory Board to offer suggestions and comments regarding content of the monthly Parents Newsletter
- Parents contribute to workshops and memorial activities in support of “Day of Remembrance ” for bereaved parents.