The Surgery Clinic is located in C Clinic on the south end of the Patient Care Center first floor. The Surgery Clinic staff sees every patient who will undergo surgery.
During the pre-operative visit, your child will have a physical exam and a staff member will take blood samples for lab tests, if the tests are not already done.
The surgeon who will perform the procedure will speak to the patient and family. This doctor will answer any questions you might have. Then, a staff member will ask you to sign a surgery consent form.
Also during this visit, the surgery clinic nurse will teach the patient and family about their roles in the surgery. You will also learn the following:
- When you should begin the NPO period. NPO stands for “nothing by mouth.” The NPO guidelines tell you when your child should stop eating and drinking before a procedure.
- What time to arrive at the hospital
- Where to go the day of surgery (Patient Registration for a patient ID armband then to Day Surgery on the third floor)
- How long the surgery will last
- What you can expect from the surgery (size of cut, where it will be on your child’s body, etc.)
- Where your child will be cared for after surgery (based on the surgery type your child may be taken to one of the inpatient units)
- What the day after surgery will be like
If your child is already in an inpatient room, the pre-operative process will take place in the patient room.
The Surgery Clinic is part of the Department of Surgery at St. Jude. Just as the Department of Surgery performs many types of surgeries, the Surgery Clinic includes several sub-clinics. They are Ortho, Limb Sparing, and AVN (Avascular Necrosis). The Eye Clinic also offers surgery as part of its services.
To find out more about the Surgery Clinic, talk to your doctor or nurse or call (901) 595-4556. If you are inside the hospital, dial 4556. If you are outside the Memphis area, call toll-free 1-866-2STJUDE (1-866-278-5833), extension 4556. If you cannot reach someone at the Surgery Clinic phone number, call the D Clinic at (901) 595-2800.