The Communications and Public Relations Internship offers a motivated individual an opportunity to spend a summer placement within the Communications and Public Relations Department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Intern will work side-by-side with public relations and communications experts and practitioners in a professional environment to gain insight and experience into the inner workings of a communications team focused on health care and scientific research.
The internship will be project-focused with exposure to various components of the public relations working environment and is located in Memphis, Tennessee.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday during standard office hours starting June 1, 2020 through August 7, 2020.
Typical Learning Opportunities
As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills on a broad range of areas including media relations, digital and social media, strategic communications planning, copywriting and newswriting, event planning and community relations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interviews St. Jude staff
- Writes content for news releases, blogs, social media channels, websites and opinion/editorial pieces
- Creates and maintains news media lists and databases
- Distributes news releases and press materials
- Assists media relations staff in media relations efforts, including for special projects and events
- Assists in planning and execution of community and campus events
- Prepares electronic and print press kits
- Monitors and files news clippings
- Helps prepare publicity and other department reports
- Develops marketing and distribution emails
- Participates in staff and team meetings
- Analyzes campaign metrics and develops reports
- Prepares and presents to department staff
Additionally, you will take part in a variety of activities such as hospital tours, networking opportunities, building relationships with a variety of professionals across the institution. You will have access to a dedicated mentor to continue developing new skills.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- Candidates must be enrolled in bachelor-level or above studies in public relations, journalism, digital media or similar field with a 3.0 GPA or above. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with adviser. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the VP of Academic Programs.
- Candidates must be entering sophomore, junior or senior year to be considered.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, fluency in Associated Press Style
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage priorities and work autonomously as appropriate
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to StJudeCommunicationsInternship@stjude.org. Your letter should include a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected intern.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
Applications are currently closed. Please check back in October/November 2020.
Please email StJudeCommunicationsInternship@stjude.org with any questions.