The Communications and Public Relations Internship offers a motivated individual an opportunity to spend a summer placement within the Communications and Public Relations department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Interns will work side-by-side with communications experts and practitioners in a professional environment to gain insight and experience into the inner workings of a health care communications team.
The internship will be project-focused with exposure to various components of the public relations working environment and is located in Memphis, Tennessee.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday during standard office hours starting June 1, 2018 through August 10, 2018.
Typical Learning Opportunities
As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills on a broad range of areas including media relations, digital and social media, strategic communications planning, copywriting and newswriting, event planning and community relations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interviews people and writes stories.
- Creates and maintains news media lists and databases.
- Writes news releases, news advisories, blog posts, and opinion/editorial pieces.
- Distributes news releases and press materials.
- Conducts media relations efforts, including for special projects and events.
- Prepares electronic and print press kits.
- Monitors and files news clippings.
- Helps prepare publicity and other department reports.
Additionally, you will take part in a variety of activities such as hospital tours, networking opportunities, building relationships with a variety of professionals across the institution, and access to a dedicated mentor, to continue developing new skills.
- Interested candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- Candidates must be enrolled in bachelor-level or above studies in public relations, journalism, digital media or similar field with a 3.0 GPA or above. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with adviser.
- Candidates must be entering sophomore, junior or senior year to be considered.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, fluent in AP Style
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage priorities and work autonomously as appropriate
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to StJudeCommunicationsInternship@stjude.org. Your letter should include a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience should be included on resume.
Successful candidates will qualify for a stipend. All other expenses including housing, food and transportation are the responsibility of the selected intern.
Deadline to Submit Cover Letter and Resume
The application deadline for the Summer 2018 internship has passed.
Please email StJudeCommunicationsInternship@stjude.org with any questions.