The Volunteer Services department offers three internships with stipend each semester. Our interns gain a well-rounded experience in many areas, including: coordinating and implementing programs and events, writing for newsletters and other print pieces, motivating and supervising volunteers, organizing events, facilitating dinners, customer service, data management, statistical tracking, general office management, and exposure in a hospital setting. Successful candidates will qualify for a paid stipend.
This internship is well suited for individuals seeking careers in fields such as non-profit management, business, communications, marketing, public administration, psychology, social services, public relations and hospital administration. All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
Candidates should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday and some evenings and weekends if you are to benefit fully from the experience.
Typical Learning Opportunities
In an immersive program you will spend your days side by side with your program mentors who will equip you with learning competencies and develop your practical skills across a broad range of areas, including:
- Volunteer coordination through implementation of programs
- Maintenance of program quality and integrity
- A variety of projects designed to retain volunteers such as birthday recognition, writing of volunteer articles, satisfaction surveys, implementing appreciation activities and more
- Training and promotion of various programs such as the Helping Hands Program, Parent Mentor Program, or the Volunteen program
- Entering data, maintaining statistics and generating reports for volunteer programs using various databases
- Preparing presentation proposals and materials
- Research projects, program evaluation, research initiatives and Evidence Based Practice proposals
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program during the semester you would be completing the internship
- Preferred area of course concentration in non-profit management, business, communications, marketing, public administration, psychology, social services, public relations and hospital administration
- Must be Junior or Senior to be considered; Masters Level preferred
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 in each of the last three semesters. GPA will be validated by transcripts and communication with advisor
Characteristics and Experience of the Successful Candidate
Students most likely to succeed in securing one of our highly competitive placements are likely to be those possessing certain pre-requisite characteristics and areas of knowledge, including:
- An ability to interact positively with people of all ages and backgrounds, ranging from St. Jude patients and their parents, hospital staff, volunteers or members of the general public
- An ability to communicate effectively
- Good organizational abilities with a strong attention to detail
- A knowledge of the skills important to customer service, event promotion and implementation, researching and delivering a creative project, and the willingness to learn and develop further knowledge and skills in these areas
- Operation of Microsoft Office Products such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher and Excel, or similar products produced by other manufacturers
- A knowledge of social media
How to Apply
To apply, please fill out our online internship application. On the application, directly under the section ‘Cover letter and resume uploads’, your essay should include a statement on how participation in this internship would support your academic and career goals.
Deadline to Apply
- Summer 2019 Deadline: Friday, January 4, 2019 at 4 p.m.
We are no longer accepting applications for our Spring 2019 internship.
For the Spring 2019 semester, intern selections will be made at the end of the year.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.